Saturday, April 27, 2013

Living room PC


This is a project I had a few months ago
I can't show you it's progress but I can show you the result

So the basic problem was that I couldn't find a desktop case small enough to fit under the TV furniture

Well at least not one cheap enough...

I was using a regular one and had it standing beside the TV furniture...

So I found this case for 10 euros after a very long day in the center of Athens!






You can tell it fits almost perfectly. It's a little bit long but the TV furniture isn't so close to the wall so it doesn't bother me at all.



 
Take a first look inside









What you see here is an ATX size motherboard inside a micro-ATX horizontal desktop case destined for a micro-power supply but having a normal one instead!





It also incorporates an HDD and an SSD  under the DVD drive... which despite my best efforts you cannot see clearly.
 



The inputs of the bolts for the old micro-ATX as well as many other things were taken apart from the case. The hole you see is for a future planned HDMI connection.

I used a metal base for the motherboard from an old unused ATX case which I extracted with an electric saw... And glued it on the (now) clear base of this case.
I also removed the metal bracket from the graphics card because there wasn't any room left underneath for it to hold in place.


 The back of the case is a mess, but I couldn't care less.
The front panel DOES work, there's a usb wireless keyboard and mouse receiver in this view.
I had to take the floppy drive from the case so it could fit the hard drives. I could find though a cap with a fitting color. I plan replacing it if I stumble upon a grey-black one at my work...



With a Core2Duo dual core processor at 2.6GHz, 1GB of ram, an Nvidia 210 with 512MB of RAM graphics card, an 60GB SSD an 80GB HDD and a DVD drive and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS OS this is a perfect living room PC more than capable of playing movies and web surfing.

And  it can sit nicely inside the TV furniture



So that's it! Stay tuned for more!








2 comments:

  1. Nice stuff! Επισης interesting project ειναι να κάνεις mount μια micro ATX m/b σε μια κιθάρα και να φτιάξεις ένα "musical tower".. Food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to exoune kanei idi alloi omws :/
      ama exeis kamia gia petama mesa :p

      Delete